Sunday 21 November 2010

Sunny Sunday

Even on a grey Sunday like today it is always possible to find a slice of sunshine somewhere in London. Today I tracked it down in a Chinese restaurant in Crossharbour. It was my first visit to the Lotus Floating restaurant but it certainly won't be my last. One of my favourite meals on a Sunday is dim sum, which consists of tasty parcels of beautifully shaped bite sized delicacies. In recent years this Cantonese staple has become fashionable and new-fangled providers have popped up all over town. Unfortunately, by en large these restaurants lack the finesse of flavours found in true dim sum eateries.  I am lucky to have parents who introduced me to this cuisine from an early age and have been enjoying dim sum ever since I can remember. I also lived in Hong Kong for a while, so I believe I can recognise the real deal dim sum. Without hesitation I would recommend Royal China in Queensway or Joy King Lau off Leicester Square and would happily add the Lotus restaurant to this list. The restaurant is light and airy, has relaxing views over the old dock and is packed with Chinese diners. If the long list of dishes is new to you, an enjoyable meal for two would be steamed char siu pau, prawn cheung fan, Vietnamese spring rolls, glutinous rice in lotus leaves with mixed meat and a sweet sunny treat of egg custard tarts as illustrated in today's photo. Wash it all down with Chinese tea and you will soon forget the gloomy November skies. 

6 comments:

  1. Dim Sum is one of my favourites too! And Royal China is a Dim Sum dreamers paradise! Love your blog. The Chinese Restaurant floating on Regents canal, I'm not sure of the name has always looked appealing, the one near London Zoo? I'm looking forward to your next post. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. Like you, I haven't been tempted to sample the floating restaurant on Regents Canal. Lotus is on the other side of town, a stone's throw away from Crossharbour DLR. Here is the address:
    The Lotus Chinese Floating Restaurant
    5 Baltimore Walk,
    Poplar,
    London, E14 9FB

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a good dim sum place in Greenwich as well. We think it's better than Lotus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the tip Darren. If you have the name of the restaurant in Greenwich, I will try it the next time I am there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's Peninsula Greenwich Chinese Restaurant. Here's the link http://www.mychinesefood.co.uk/. On a separate note, your blog is really good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to sample their tasty dim sum. Thank you for following my blog.

    ReplyDelete