Wednesday 24 November 2010

If two wheels can transport one person, how many people can four wheels carry?

The answer is 49 passengers plus a driver and the tourist guide if the four wheels are attached to a "Super Executive" coach.  This was the vehicle I was employed to work on today for a Gatwick airport pick up at 9 o'clock this morning.  It was an early start but the group that I met had begun their trip much earlier than me at 5 o'clock, so they were understandably weary when I met them.  I was not so much jet lagged as saddle sore following the mode of transport I used to reach Victoria station.  The Boris bike was my steed for a race across Hyde Park.  Biting cold gnawed at my finger and the early morning air was bracing as I travelled at the speed of a tractor along the paths.  I made it to the station in good time and boarded a train for the airport.  Fortunately, the flight was not delayed, the sun put on a brave face and the driver on the job was a joy to work with.  The passengers were keen to exit the arrival hall and head to the coach.  Not so much for fresh air but rather to suck on their cigarettes, cigars and even the odd pipe.  The minimal amount of luggage made for a speedy getaway.  It seemed as if everything was running to plan when it was brought to my attention that one of the passengers  was suffering from the effects of motion sickness.  At this moment a tour can rapidly unravel but Super Driver was at the ready as he speedily whisked open all the windows and the afflicted traveller felt relieved.  He wasn't the only one!  After the circuitous trek through Crystal Palace, Dulwich, Norwood and finally Brixton, the drive across Westminster inspired oohs and aahhhs as the cameras and tourists clicked and whirred into life.  It is at these moments with the light reflecting on the grey slate depths of the River Thames and golden Houses of Parliament glinting at the water's edge, that London really comes into its own.  Unless the rotations of the London Eye have a magical hypnotic power over the thousands of visitors, the onlookers must simply be drunk on the sheer beauty of this city.  After a cigarette stop thinly disguised as a photo opportunity near Westminster Abbey, we made our departure from the heart of Westminster to visit the Albert Memorial and the Royal Albert Hall before concluding the tour at the hotel.  I can not be sure how much of the tour the group really absorbed.  The lack of sleep may well have left them delirious but as I boarded a Boris bike, I imagined that the shine in the group's eyes as I left them was not so much a result of lack of sleep, but from taking in the countless sights that London has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment