Wednesday 11 January 2012

Birds and Bird Brains

I would certainly not describe myself as a tree hugger, but having recently moved to a house with a garden, I find that I am now far more aware of nature. Six months ago I moved to Rotherhithe and am now awoken each morning by a hungry robin singing his heart out, as opposed to the grumbling busses trundling through my old stomping ground in Bayswater.

The focal point of my green rectangle of grass is a bird table, which I load up daily with seeds, cereal and mealworms that are whisked away by my winged neighbours. When I moved to SE16, I had assumed that it would be time to become a car owner for weekend excursions and trips to the supermarket. However, the need for a gas-guzzler has not materialised. A bicycle equipped with a basket and robust panniers more than suffice in transporting both a considerable load and myself. The majority of my new neighbourhood own vehicles and one resident appears to be quite the enthusiast with three cars. I simply do not see the attraction. As said neighbour gazes out of his window, lovingly cooing over his mid life crisis escape route on four wheels, I much prefer spotting the black birds skulking in the shadows and watching the cormorants dry their wings on the nearby pier, whilst the busy blue tits bombard the bird table.

1 comment: